Building an email list from scratch is no easy task if you don’t know what you’re doing. That is why most of us put it on the back burner until we realize that we are loosing money by not having one in place.
Have you ever heard the saying I wish I would have started building my email list sooner. This is true for most of us who run an online business, but the problem is when you’re first starting out you don’t know how to put the whole thing together and it seems like an insurmountable task.
In this article I am going to show you how to build an email list from scratch that will collect email addresses and turn them into money. The whole idea of building a mailing list is to make more money by selling to the people on your list.
I’m sure you’ve heard it over and over again that the money is in the list and the way to do this is to build trust with the people on your list, this is a true statement. We will get into all of that later but for now lets get started collecting the pieces we need to build our list.
What Will I Need To Build My List
There are a few things you are going to need in order to get your list set up and ready to collect emails. One of the things that you are going to have to have is an automated email follow up series set up to send emails to the people that have signed up to your list. If you are ready to start building your email list then you don’t want to waste another minute trying out products that promise the world and testing out things that don’t work.
What I am going to provide for you here is a system that works at building a real email list fast that converts, with an end result of more conversions and more sales, not some half hearted attempt at trying to figure it out. The first thing you’re going to need is an autoresponder.
- AutoResponder: The most important thing on your list is going to be a good autoresponder. Once everything is set up most of the heavy lifting will be done by your autoresponder so I recommend getting a good one. There is a handful of very popular autoresponders available, all comparable in price that most of the successful online marketers use like Aweber, GetResponse, MailChimp and a few others. I personally use Aweber, why is Aweber the best autoresponder, read my article for more insight.
- Thrive Leads Plugin: Thrive Leads is a WordPress plugin that is going to enable you to put together professional looking forms that convert. There are other ways of doing this but you’re not going to find anything that even comes close to converting like the Thrive Leads Plugin, so I’m not going to waste your time and mine. If you’re looking to build a real list right from the start and you don’t want to waste time this is the one that works and this is the one that the pros are using. Conversions are what we’re looking for. Check out the video here and you’ll see what I mean.
- Email Content: Once you have your Thrive Leads Plugin all set up and connected to your autoresponder you’re going to need an automated email series for the people that sign up to your list through your lead forms. This is where the autoresponder comes in. I recommend creating a series of 10 emails to get started, and setting them up inside of your autoresponder to be sent out 4 or 5 days apart from each other automatically.
- This is not hard to do, you can find offers online that will wright an email series for next to nothing. One place you can always check out is fiverr, fiverr offers pre-written email series for any niche that you’re in. And just so you know, Aweber has training on how to set up your autoresponder and how to set up your email series so you don’t have to feel like you’re going to be left hanging after reading this article.
- Thrive Lead Pages Plugin also provides great training on how to use their product and how to integrate it with what ever autoresponder you choose to use.
- This all needs to be done step by step and the training videos inside Aweber and Thrive Lead Pages will walk you through each step. You should never have to feel lost or left to figure it out on your own. If you ever need a helping hand you can call on me for direction at any time by leaving a comment below or contacting me directly inside Wealthy Affiliate.
- Bonus Giveaway: You will need to offer something of value for free to people. People are looking for answers to questions, and by providing something for free as a giveaway people will be more inclined to give their email address to you in order to receive a free download that will answer a question they have or teach them something.
Driving Targeted Traffic to Your Sign Up Page
Once you have everything set up and ready to go you’re going to need more traffic. There are literally thousands of different ways of generating traffic, from learning how to buy solo ads and turn them into money to creating PPC campaigns, and some of them will drive tons of traffic to where ever you want to send it for next to nothing. Targeted traffic is what you need though and the more targeted it is the more conversions you’ll produce.
You can buy targeted traffic that converts, and there are many different ways and means of doing this. The one thing you need to be focused on is what your objective is. If your objective is to make a sale then the traffic you’re buying will cost you more and there is no guarantee that you’re going to make the sale.
Our objective here is not to make a sale, it is to build a list, the sales will come later. Buying traffic to build a list is cheap. It is a lot easier to get someone to give you their email address then it is to give you their credit card, so your conversion rates will be much higher. Once you have built your list then you can market to them for years to come and it won’t cost you anything.
Traffic That Converts
If you can build a email list from scratch the right way with traffic that converts, you will be way ahead of everyone. Some people work on building their email list for years before finding success with it, and some people never find success.
Starting out on the right foot with the right tools is very important and will make the difference between success and failure.
Everyone’s input is welcome, if you have something of value to add for the next reader then please leave a comment in the box. This article will get you going in the right direction with a good foundation, but like anything there is always more to learn.
To Your Success!